A3 printer with CUPS

Does anyone else have an a3 printer and successfully switch between a4 and
a3 under CUPS?

I have an HP1220C A3 printer.  Sometimes I can print A3 on it and other
times it stays in A4 mode - printing just a4-size part of image on one
corner of the a3 sheet.  From one box on the network, I can change the
configuration in CUPS to a3, but still only get a4 printed.  From another
box (the one with the printer physically attached), I cannot even change
the setting as CUPS says 'client-error-not-authorized'.  cupsd.conf is
identical on the two boxes. (The first is sarge, the second sid).

Any suggestions?

--
richard