Re: Good tool for light photo editing?

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 03:46:20PM -0500, Rich Wellner wrote:
> Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> writes:
>
> > on Wed, 06 Oct 2004 02:31:41PM -0400, stan insinuated:
> >> I just got my first set of pictures on CD's (vacation pics), and I
> >> wan't to put them up on my web server.
> >>
> >> What's a good tool to do some really lightweight editeing on them
> >> with?  Mostly I just need to rotate the vertical ones, but I
> >> _might_ do just a little cropping on some few.
> >
> > to rotate, i use convert(1):
> >
> > convert -rotate $degreesRight $filename $newfilename
>
> Since we're talking about photos let me point out that convert isn't
> lossless.  For rotating photos losselessly I suggest jpegtran.  Make
> sure you use -copy to avoid losing your EXIF information.
>
> jpegtran -copy all -rotate 270 <filename>

There is no debian package for jpegtran however there is for exiftran:

 exiftran is a command line utility to transform digital image jpeg
 images. It can do lossless rotations like jpegtran, but unlike jpegtran
 it cares about the EXIF data: It can rotate images automatically by
 checking the exif orientation tag, it updates the exif informaton if
 needed (image dimension, orientation), it also rotates the exif
 thumbnail. It can process multiple images at once.

I have used neither.

--
A critic is one who leaves no turn unstoned. -George Bernard Shaw
    Rick Pasotto    rick@niof.net    http://www.niof.net