Re: Good tool for light photo editing?

on Wed, 06 Oct 2004 02:31:41PM -0400, stan insinuated:
> I just got my first set of pictures on CD's (vacation pics), and I
> wan't to put them up on my web server.
>
> What's a good tool to do some really lightweight editeing on them
> with?  Mostly I just need to rotate the vertical ones, but I _might_
> do just a little cropping on some few.

to rotate, i use convert(1):

convert -rotate $degreesRight $filename $newfilename

for cropping, if they're bigger than your screen, i have to go with
the GIMP.  xv is great if they're small, but if the resolution is
actually bigger than your screen's resolution, and you open it up,
crop (or rotate, or whatever), and save, you'll be sizing down the
resolution to that of your screen.

(this bit me in the ass for a month or so after i initially got my
digital camera before i figured out what was going on.  unfortunately,
it took me getting a photo accepted into a contest, and then being
told it was too lo-res to print, for this to come to light!)

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++