#
default=Linux
initrd=/initrd.img
image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only
#       restricted
#       alias=1

This is similiar to what my lilo.conf looked like after i edited it, except:

image=/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        read-only
        initrd=/initrd/img

The main difference being that initrd was under the image= section. I'm typing this from memory since right now my system is hosed and doesnt boot. I dont care too much since its a new system. Just a pita to reinstall but no lost data or anything.

I'm right now thinking there's some sort of incomparability between my chipset and the kernel. Its an asus a7n8x with nforce2 (chipset revision 162 according to the boot screen).

thanks,

ian