Re: kernel update, initrd image help

On (05/10/04 14:27), Ian L wrote:
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> From: Ian L <debhelp@merk.caltech.edu>
> Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:27:35 -0700
> Subject: kernel update, initrd image help
>
> I'm trying to install kernel 2.6.8 and during the apt process it says i
> need to configure lilo to use initrd.
>
> Can someone either explain the process for doing this or point me to a link
> that does? I found a default mkinitrd.conf file, ran mkinitrd and it
> created an image file (it complaining about there being no module
> directory). But i'm not sure what settings in the config file i should set.
>
> The main reason i want to upgrade the kernel is to try and get my network
> cards working (nforce2 and intel pro 100 s).

Hi Ian

You need to edit /etc/lilo.conf (as root) ...be careful ;)

It is worth looking at man lilo.conf

FWIW the kernel options in my lilo.conf looks like this:

# Kernel command line options that apply to all installed images go
# here.  See: The `boot-prompt-HOWO' and `kernel-parameters.txt' in
# the Linux kernel `Documentation' directory.
#
# append=""

# Boot up Linux by default.
#