Re: kernel update, initrd image help

At 02:43 PM 10/5/2004, you wrote:
Incoming from Ian L:
> I'm trying to install kernel 2.6.8 and during the apt process it says i
> need to configure lilo to use initrd.

See down at the bottom.

Thanks ... but i screwed something up. I'm wondering if there's something about my hardware that doesnt work with 2.6.8 because the error i am getting now is i think the same error i was getting when i tried to do the latest sarge install.

i ran mkinitrd, then ran apt, it created its own initrd img file. I edited lilo to point to the new file, ran lilo -v, it ran without any errors.

I rebooted assuming lilo would give me a choice as to which kernel i wanted to boot into. It didnt. Linux starts to load and then fails with the following lines:

nforce2 ide controller at pci slot 0000:00:09.0
nforce2 chipset revision 162
nforce2 not 100% native mode, will probe irqs later
nforce2 bios didnt set cable bits correctly, enabling workaround

<few more lines of text with nothing that looked like an error>

/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: unknown partition table
NTFS driver 2.1.15 flags R/O MODULE
pivot_root: no such file or directory
/sbin/init: 426: cannot open dev/console: no such file
kernel panic: attempted to kill init!

I'll do some more searching on nforce2 and chipset 162. Any other suggestions?

thanks for the help,

Ian