Re: kernel update, initrd image help

On (05/10/04 15:08), Ian L wrote:
> one quick question:
>
> apt-get install kernel-image-xxxxx
>
> Thats going to install that specific kernel image alongside the existing
> kernel image, correct? i.e. its not going to replace it.
>
> if so, how do i get lilo to offer me the choice to boot into both? I
> thought the linuxOLD section of my lilo.conf woudl be for the older kernel
> image. So i wasnt too concerned about the new kernel loading since i
> thought i could just boot back into the old one. Right now i'm going to
> have to reinstall the whole thing again since i dont have a choice as to
> which kernel loads. (not that big a deal since its a new system, just
> getting tired of all the re-installs)
>From man lilo.conf :

When  booting,  the boot loader will issue its boot: prompt and wait for
you to enter the label of the kernel (and any options) which you wish to
boot.  At  any time you may hit [Tab] to see a list of kernel/other
labels.  Alter­ nately, if the boot-menu.b boot loader is installed, a
menu of boot  options will  be presented for your selection.  The title
of this menu is overridden with the menu title specification in this
configuration file.  If you enter nothing,  then  the  default kernel
image, the first mentioned, (/boot/zIm­ age-1.5.99) will be booted after
a timeout of 15 seconds (150 deciseconds).  There can be up to 16 images
mentioned in lilo.conf.

Regards

Clive