Re: If ATI and nVidia don't support their own products, who does?

Hi,
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 22:41:06 -0700, Paul Johnson
<baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Roberto Sanchez <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es> writes:
>
> > Paul Johnson wrote:
> >> <#secure method=pgp mode=sign>

> >> Mistake du jour!  You'll only spend more on the nVidia for even
> >> crappier drivers.  Just get a newer Radeon if you want graphics
> >> performance.  I believe there's actually working open drivers for the
> >> ATI adapters.

This is not actually true. Okay there are problems with nvidia drivers
too (especially for laptops) but no more than with ATI. I've got both
and I would say nVidia support is much better. Even for windows I
would say the same. Have you ever read a review of an ATI card that
didn't say "but this is an early version of the drivers, the situation
might get better in the future"? I haven't.

> > Problem is that the newer Radeon cards have even worse support
> > in the open source drivers.  It is really aggravating since
> > I want a card that will allow me to play my games in Linux.
> > The two that I play now are Neverwinter Nights and America's
> > Army.  I would probably get more in the future, but not if I
> > can't my video card to perform better.
>
> OK, who manufactures a video card who actually supports properly what
> they make, then?  Cause it sure isn't nVidia, and it sounds like it's
> not ATI?

matrox maybe? But nobody uses that for gaming.

> > Anyway, how bad are the nVidia drivers?  The only experience
> > I have had with them (one high-end workstation in the Linux
> > lab I formerly admined) was fairly positive.
>
> *Bad* though the situation is improving slowly.  What really needs to
> happen is nVidia and ATI to get their heads out of their asses and GPL
> their drivers already.  I mean, what is it they like about
> recto-cranial inversion?  Is it the warmth?  The smell?  The fit?

They work fine for most people. As I said I haven't heard nearly as
many complaints as with the ATI drivers (possibly because nVidia had
linux support sooner). Now GPL-ing their drivers isn't going to
happen. Drivers need to know certain things about the hardware that
these companies just aren't willing to share with their competitor.
Tough luck, start your own graphics card company.

greets,
Wim