Problem: pppd keeps connection up

I have a Debian gateway system, doing pppd demand dialling. ISP gives
a new IP address with each connect. No problems with that - it works
as advertised.
My problem is that once up, it often does not shut down even when there
has been no traffic from me for longer than the set time-out period.
The reason appears to be traffic coming in from outside. It looks
(Ethereal) as though it is traffic for a previous user of the IP address
I now have.
My (simple) iptables rules ensure that my machine does not respond,
but the traffic is enough to trigger pppd into keeping the connection
active.
I note that back in Jan 2003, someone had the same problem but got no
response on the mailing list.

How can I ensure that traffic initiated from outside does not keep
the dial-up connection open?