Re: floppy in kernel 2.6: is not a block device

Can't use my floppy drive in Linux 2.6.
G> As root in /dev type:  MAKEDEV floppy
./MAKEDEV: don't know how to make device "floppy"
G> Another piece, is "udev" installed?
OK, I installed it and rebooted.
G> If it is, it should create those auto-magically.
No it didn't.  ls /dev/f* shows none. Now trying
./MAKEDEV fd0
shows lots of supposed action, but ls doesn't show any changes.
On a second run there is no output, so supposedly its changes are
registered somewhere.  Maybe I have to reboot to see them too...
G> Or you can manually use "mknod" to create them.
G> Here is my listing for /dev/fd0:
G> brw-rw----  1 root floppy 2,   0 2003-11-12 09:24 /dev/fd0
G> That would be:
G> mknod --mode=0660 /dev/fd0 b 2 0
Done. However still,
mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
OK, that's better than the earlier
mount: special device /dev/fd0 does not exist
no help from modprobe ide-floppy and floppy either.
I was able to use the floppy in Linux 2.4. Not in 2.6.

In fact, I now notice using reboot(8) no longer reboots, just hangs
ttys. pstree shows it is stuck doing "shutdown -r 0 w". I will remove
udev forthwith.  A second try hung my last tty and I had to walk over
to press a hard reset.  Geez.  I notice purging udev leaves files
behind. Their name flew off my screen and now I won't ever be able to
find them without repeating an install/purge.

Ok, now rebooting again, luckily with no filesystem damage after the
hard reboot, I see all the /dev/fd* stuff is indeed there.  However,
as much as I try, /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device.