Re: usb storage kernel module with 2.4 kernel

Nori Heikkinen wrote:
on Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:00:19PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen insinuated:

i'm trying to mount my new iPod on my home computer now.  at work,
running the 2.6.6 kernel, the only kernel module i needed to
modprobe was usb-storage.  here, running the 2.4.26 kernel, i don't
seem to have a module called anything like that, nor will the
computer recognize the iPod when it's plugged in (nothing in
/var/log/{syslog,messages}).

amended: i'm a big dork, and had it plugged into the wrong cable.  it
DOES see it:

Sep 29 22:04:42 orange kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-2,
assigned address 19

but doesn't know what to do with it:

Sep 29 22:04:42 orange kernel: usb.c: USB device 19 (vend/prod
0x5ac/0x1203) is not claimed by any active driver.

and nothing shows up in /proc/scsi/scsi.

i'm using USB (1.1), fwiw.  (but i don't think that matters for this).

yet in my kernel config, i have:

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m

so it seems like it should be modprobe-able ...

what am i missing, here?

  you also need scsi, not sure what exactly, here's what I have:

CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m
CONFIG_SCSI_REPORT_LUNS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_LOGGING=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SPI_ATTRS=m
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y

not all of that is relevant (i.e. SATA is for SATA support) but you need at least some of them, take a look at kernel config help to figure out which ones are relevant for you.

	erik