Sendmail Install Dramas

Hi All,

Hope this is the right place - new to debian (and loving it) so please bare with me.

I've just tried to update the sendmail package on my system (I saw the security notice) but had a few problems. After a bit of fiddling (basically involving apt-get remove --purge sendmail) I tried again and got the following error messages:

Setting up sendmail-base (8.13.1-14) ...
adduser: Warning: The home dir you specified already exists.
adduser: Warning: The home dir you specified already exists.
dpkg: error processing sendmail-base (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of sendmail-bin:
 sendmail-bin depends on sendmail-base; however:
  Package sendmail-base is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing sendmail-bin (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of sensible-mda:
 sensible-mda depends on sendmail-bin | mail-transport-agent; however:
  Package sendmail-bin is not configured yet.
  Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
Package sendmail-bin which provides mail-transport-agent is not configured yet.
  Package exim which provides mail-transport-agent is not installed.
dpkg: error processing sensible-mda (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of rmail:
 rmail depends on sendmail-bin | mail-transport-agent; however:
  Package sendmail-bin is not configured yet.
  Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
Package sendmail-bin which provides mail-transport-agent is not configured yet.
  Package exim which provides mail-transport-agent is not installed.
dpkg: error processing rmail (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of sendmail:
 sendmail depends on sendmail-base; however:
  Package sendmail-base is not configured yet.
 sendmail depends on sendmail-bin; however:
  Package sendmail-bin is not configured yet.
 sendmail depends on sensible-mda; however:
  Package sensible-mda is not configured yet.
 sendmail depends on rmail; however:
  Package rmail is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing sendmail (--configure):
 sendmail-base
 sendmail-bin
 sensible-mda
 rmail
 sendmail

The drama seems to be obvious in the first few lines, but I can't work out what the home dir referred to is? My system had mysteriously (to me) gained a home/defang directory. I tried deleting this but that didn't do the trick (I got the above error messages, but without the 2nd and 3rd lines).

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

David