Re: Emacs like environment for VIM

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:37:02 +0545 (NPT)
Ritesh Raj Sarraf <riteshsarraf@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> Emacs has been praised by many. It's said to be an all-in-one editor.
> Read mail, surf the web, code... everything there.
> Do we have similar environments for VIM ? I like the idea vim has of
> modes. Is there any software which is just like Emacs(with loads of
> features like mail, web, development) but designed specifically for
> vim? Yes, I know vip-mode and viper are alternatives but they don't
> adhere all features of vim everywhere into emacs. They just seem
> incomplete emulators.
> It would have been great to see a Emacs kind software for vim too.

I'm kind of surprised the flames haven't started flying yet. Vim vs.
Emacs is almost as bad as Chocolate ice-cream vs. Vanilla ice-cream.
Mixing the two would surely cause an explosion; or worse. :-)

In all seriousness, I've been using vim with mutt for composing e-mails
for quite a while now. There is an option to pass it, telling it that
it's in mail mode; it does thing like enable syntax highlighting for
headers, wrap lines that are longer than 72 characters, and can even
enable spell-checking. (Unfortunately the option escapes my mind at the
moment; it gets stashed away in the deep dark corners of ~/.muttrc.)

As for programming, it has syntax highlighting tailored to more
programming languages than I can recite. Admittedly, it's not an IDE,
but it works great for me.

If you're looking for more specific instructions on how to change hot
keys or adding functionality, you may find it helpful to browse
www.vim.org - it has a ton of plugins. I've even found it great for
editing encrypted files - with vim prompting me for the password and
letting me change text without having to unencrypt the file manually.

There's the vim mailing list as well. Or even if you can start by
narrowing your request down to a couple of small features you're trying
to do in vim, people here can probably help. But just saying 'Emacs
like' is a pretty vast topic, for which I suspect some people could
write a whole book and more.

HTH,
Jacob