Re: Sendmail Install Dramas

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:01:56 +1000, David Powell
<moondrake@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Hope this is the right place - new to debian (and loving it) so please
> bare with me.
>
> I've just tried to update the sendmail package on my system (I saw the
> security notice) but had a few problems.  After a bit of fiddling
> (basically involving apt-get remove --purge sendmail) I tried again and
> got the following error messages:

[...]

> The drama seems to be obvious in the first few lines, but I can't work
> out what the home dir referred to is?  My system had mysteriously (to
> me) gained a home/defang directory.  I tried deleting this but that
> didn't do the trick (I got the above error messages, but without the 2nd
> and 3rd lines).
>
> Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Is this a Woody system? Have you looked in the Debian BTS (bug
tracking system) if this is a known problem/bug?

The first thing to try is to "dpkg --configure --pending" (man dpkg
for the details) and then you can try to fix your system with "apt-get
-f install" or manually installing sendmail.

If this don't woks, you need to increase the dpkg verbosity level to
look where the problem is...

Andrea