Re: partition /var is full

on Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 11:07:03PM +0100, Gerard Robin (jag.robin18@wanadoo.fr) wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a problem with my partition /var which seems to be too small.
> When it is full my system deosn't work fine, for example: fetchmail can't
> download my messages in /var/mail/mylogin.
> To solve the problem temporarily, I have removed the biggest files in
> /var/log/.
> How can I solve this problem neatly ?
> Thinks in advance for your reply or for a link which gives me a hint
> for good solution ?
>
> "df -h" displays :
>
> Sys. de fich.         Tail. Occ. Disp. %Occ. Mont? sur
> /dev/hda2             464M  139M  302M  32% /

Since you've split out everything else, / can shrink to ~150 MiB or so.

The biggest thing to go in there are your kernel modules, under
/lib/modules.  Keep your installed kernel count low (1-2) and you'll be
OK.  For a while.

> tmpfs                 253M     0  253M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/hda3             3,2G  1,7G  1,4G  55% /usr

Good size.  I tend to shoot for 3-4 GiB for /usr these days.

> /dev/hda6              92M   22K   87M   1% /tmp

Small, but perfectly serviceable so long as you don't try burning CDs
(some burners build temporary ISOs in /tmp).

> /dev/hda7             464M  411M   29M  94% /var

I shoot for ~1-2 GiB /var.  You can slide to about 750 MiB without
frequent problems.  Otherwise, clean your cache frequently.  "apt-get
autoclean" cronned nightly may help.

Also check your logrotate configuration.  Rotate frequently
(daily/weekly), keep few old logs (2-4), and compress old logs.  Might
check to see if logfiles are growing out out of hand, and if so, why.
Track down and fix those errors.

> /dev/hda8             1,9G  530M  1,2G  31% /home

Looks like you've only got ~6 GiB on this disk.  If you can at all
afford it, buy more disk.  It's ~US$1/GiB, you can almost certainly
afford it.

Peace.

    < bob2> beef-fed tofu tastes better, anyway.