Re: Computer not running at highest possible speed

Frank Gevaerts wrote:
Two things that come to my mind:

1) video acceleration? I believe the "glxinfo" command should tell you if you have acceleration.

glxinfo is about opengl acceleration. At least battle for wesnoth is
pure 2d sdl, so it can't be the whole answer.
Are you using the binary-only nvidia driver, or the free one, or maybe
even the vesa frame buffer ?

I'm running the drivers i got from the nvidia website, I was not aware that there were other drivers available for this nvidia card. glxinfo does say i have direct rendering on, nothing about accelleration however.

2) DMA? Perhaps you need to run hdparm against your drive to turn on DMA or 32-bit addressing.

or in othe words, what does "hdparm -cd /dev/hda" say ? I doubt this is
the problem though, since scrolling in a game shouldn't involve disk
operations, at least not with 512 MB RAM.

I ran hdparm -c1 -k1 /dev/hda so hdparm -cd /dev/hda gives me this output.

dolphy:~# hdparm -cd /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)

Frank

Could it be certain processor specific options in my kernel? i can post my .config file if that is a possibility. I'm not a expert on kernels.

thanks,
Jule
--
Jule Slootbeek