Re: Computer not running at highest possible speed

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 01:40:24PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Jule Slootbeek wrote:
>
> >recently I installed Debian sarge on a P4 2Ghz machine using the new
> >debian-installer. After setting up this new machine, which previously
> >ran windows XP, I started noticing that many processes were not
> >running at optimal capacity. When I play games the graphics are slow,
> >and I usually have to turn down a lot of options, for example, when i
> >play Battle for Wesnoth, during the automated sequences the scrolling
> >is not smooth, and waiting for my turn takes forever. This was never a
> >problem when it ran Windows. Even firefox takes a while to open a new
> >tab, and opening new windows in Gnome takes longer than one would expect.
>

> Two things that come to my mind:
>
> 1) video acceleration? I believe the "glxinfo" command should tell you
> if you have acceleration.

glxinfo is about opengl acceleration. At least battle for wesnoth is
pure 2d sdl, so it can't be the whole answer.
Are you using the binary-only nvidia driver, or the free one, or maybe
even the vesa frame buffer ?

> 2) DMA? Perhaps you need to run hdparm against your drive to turn on DMA
> or 32-bit addressing.

or in othe words, what does "hdparm -cd /dev/hda" say ? I doubt this is
the problem though, since scrolling in a game shouldn't involve disk
operations, at least not with 512 MB RAM.

Frank