Re: Computer not running at highest possible speed

Jule Slootbeek wrote:

recently I installed Debian sarge on a P4 2Ghz machine using the new debian-installer. After setting up this new machine, which previously ran windows XP, I started noticing that many processes were not running at optimal capacity. When I play games the graphics are slow, and I usually have to turn down a lot of options, for example, when i play Battle for Wesnoth, during the automated sequences the scrolling is not smooth, and waiting for my turn takes forever. This was never a problem when it ran Windows. Even firefox takes a while to open a new tab, and opening new windows in Gnome takes longer than one would expect.

Two things that come to my mind:

1) video acceleration? I believe the "glxinfo" command should tell you if you have acceleration.

2) DMA? Perhaps you need to run hdparm against your drive to turn on DMA or 32-bit addressing.

--
Kent West
westk@acu.edu