Re: Delays accesing some urls from debian

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 08:00:50AM -0400, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> I've noticed that accessing pages of www.nytimes.com is very slow when
> doing it from home. However, from my office computer (w2000) there is
> no delay. The response is fast. Could this have anything to do with
> the nytimes site expecting some response from the operating system
> that is not getting from debian? Has anybody observed a similar
> situation? By the way, this is the only site that has this especific
> behavior.

Read <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>.  Your
question above is missing EVERYTHING that might help someone figure
out what's happening.

Among the stuff people would need to know:

1.  What's "very slow"?  Three seconds?  Three minutes?  Three weeks?

2.  What version of Debian?

3.  What browser(s)? (Both at home and at the office.)

4.  What VERSION of each browser?

5.  What connection type at home and at the office?  For instance, do
    you have a T3 at the office and a dialup modem at home?

6.  Do you have a proxy at home?  At work?  Does each proxy cache?

Do you begin to see how hard to answer your question is?

BTW, www.nytimes.com loads in just under three seconds here, using
Debian Sarge, Mozilla Firefox, Optimum Online cable modem access, and
Privoxy as a non-caching proxy.
--
Carl Fink               carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum