X not loading fonts

If I fire up a vncserver with Gnome (verrrrry sloooowly), the Artwiz fonts I
installed in ~/.fonts are 'available'.

However, when I run a vncserver that loads Pekwm instead, those fonts are not
available, I just get the default 'fixed' font in the menus and titlebars.

X should load the same set of fonts no matter the desktop or WM, no?

--
JoeHill RLU #282046 /  www.freeyourmachine.org
19:44:22 up 51 days, 19:31, 5 users, load average: 0.09, 0.07, 0.08