What is packet mode

Hi,

	Does anyone know what activating packet mode is in
linuxspeak ?  I'm trying to debug a dialup connection
problem.  I have a chatscript setup that has been
working for years.  Last week the connection quit
working.  The chat exchange breaks down after my
password is sent.  Instead of the expected prompt
asking me to choose between an interactive session or
a ppp connection I'm getting a short line of asterisks
then "IP=0.0.0.0 MTU=1500 ".  Then the connection
script fails.

The org in question has suggested that a FreeBSD user
got around a similar problem by activating packet
mode.  I suspect they don't understand the problem I
am having.

I've googled in FreeBSD and packet mode.  I haven't
drilled any further than the first 60 returned sites,
but so far nothing has told me more than that the ppp
daemon switches automatically to packet mode when it
detects that the peer has started talking PPP or "when
a ppp peer is detected on the other side of the modem,
ppp automatically enables Packet Mode and goes back
into command mode."

So far, I am assuming that in the
linux/chatscript/pon-poff sphere, talking PPP begins
when, at the no-longer-received-prompt I would
formerly choose to become an internet node rather than
opt for an interactive session on the remote host.
Thus, packet mode is what happens after my chatscript
sends PPP to the remote host.

Any ppp/serial connection gurus able to confirm this
or correct it ?

Thanks.

jimmy