Re: How to start NTPD?

Got a sarge box.. this is what you need.

ii  ntp            4.2.0a-11      Network Time Protocol: network utilities
ii  ntp-server     4.2.0a-11      Network Time Protocol: common server tools
ii  ntp-simple     4.2.0a-11      Network Time Protocol: daemon for simple sys

ntp, ntp-server and ntp-simple.
but if you do a apt-cache show ntp-server, look at what it says about ntp-simple.

[and I quote]
 There are two server packages: 'ntp-simple' only knows about your computer's
 built-in clock. 'ntp-refclock' has built-in support for a variety of
 time signal receivers. Both server packages, of course, can synchronize
 with other servers across the Internet.
[end quote]

Starting and restarting.. /etc/init.d/ntp-server (start|stop|etc.etc.etc.)

So there you are.

ntpdate is only a client side piece of software, has no services behind it.
polling ever minute is useless.. unless you thrive on the couple of 3 diget numbers behind
the comma. 15 minitues is just fine. Run the ntp server if you realy need a tight grip on
the time.

Take a good look at the ntp.conf.. [plug for pool.ntp.org .. we still need all the support
we can get].

Mark,

JoeHill wrote:
In installed the NTP, as well as the ntp-docs, and for the life of me I can't
figure out how to start ntpd. There does not even appear to be an 'ntpd'
anywhere (tried 'which'), and from going over the docs I cannot find a section
on how to start/stop/restart the service, and there is no seperate 'ntpd'
package.

I already have an NTP service running on this box, I just want my little Debian
box to be in sync with it.

On a related note, to start/stop/restart a service on my Mandrake machine, I use
the 'service' command. I somehow ended up with the impression that the
analagous command on Debian was 'dpkg-reconfigure'. I'm way off, I suspect.
Clarification on that also appreciated.

Thanks.