Re: Setting the environment before Gnome starts up

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 07:06, B. L. Jilek wrote:
> Hi Andrei!
>
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Andrei Badea wrote:
>
> > However, what I like about GDM is that during login I can choose the
> > window manager with a menu. In this case, GDM ignores the ~/.xsession
> > file, so I don't have a chance to setup my environment. So the question
> > (though a little bit academic) is if/how I can setup my environment when
> > using GDM (if possible, without having to set each window manager
> > separately).

The trick here is to use make use of /etc/X11/xsession.d as described in
the Xsession(5) man page

Create a file in this directory which sets up the required environment.
the name of the file determines how/when it is run so make sure it
follows the format described. Blow is the link i made to my /etc/profile
which allows it to run every time i log in regardless of which WM i
choose.

blake@raider:~$ ls -l /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xfree86-common_profile
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 12 2004-09-21 21:07
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xfree86-common_profile -> /etc/profile

HTH

Cheers
Blake Swadling
Senior Software Engineer