Re: Setting the environment before Gnome starts up

Hello,

On 14.9.2004 13:22 B. L. Jilek wrote:

Hi Andrei!

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Andrei Badea wrote:

Hello Debian fellows,

I'm using GDM to login into my Gnome session. What is the proper way to set some environment variables after I authenticate through GDM, but before gnome-session runs? I need this environment during my Gnome session, because it contains the locale.

The file you should use is ".xsession" in your home directory.  When
logging in with GDM choose the "Default System" option.  It will read
from this file.  The last line in it should be "exec gnome-session" to
start Gnome or "exec kde" to start kde.  This file is what you can use
to start the window manager of choice without a Display manager such
as GDM.  It will be read by the startx command.

Thank you for your answer! Nice and simple, and I'll probably stick to it, as it is enough for my needs.

However, what I like about GDM is that during login I can choose the window manager with a menu. In this case, GDM ignores the ~/.xsession file, so I don't have a chance to setup my environment. So the question (though a little bit academic) is if/how I can setup my environment when using GDM (if possible, without having to set each window manager separately).

Best regards,
Andrei

--
andrei.badea@movzx.net # http://movzx.net # ICQ: 52641547