Setting the environment before Gnome starts up

Hello Debian fellows,

I'm using GDM to login into my Gnome session. What is the proper way to set some environment variables after I authenticate through GDM, but before gnome-session runs? I need this environment during my Gnome session, because it contains the locale.

The only thing I've come up with is diverting /usr/bin/gnome-session and replacing it with a Bash script which includes ~/.environment and runs the original gnome-session. But that's ugly and doesn't solve the problem for other window mangers that I use (xfce).

Thank you for help.

Best regards,
Andrei

--