Re: Upgrading from Redhat to Debian, want to preserve home dirs, etc.

> I don't care about dual-booting, but I want to preserve the existing
> directories on /dev/hda for the obvious reasons.... home directories
> has all my stuff in it and usr dirs has a lot of usr/local stuff, etc.

I think this should be fine. When installing, you can repartion hdc
and leave hda alone, and have Debian install everything in hdc (/usr.
/home, etc.). Later when configuring what partition to boot, choose
the partition on hdc. You can probably also choose to make hda
bootable to boot redhat. This would make it easier to run the programs
in /usr/local since they are probably dynamically linked and require
libraries installed inthe RedHat partition.

If you wanted to make it easier, you can open up the computer and swap
the two harddrives and install onto hda. Or better yet for extra
safety, remove the hda harddrive, move the hdc to be the primary and
install as normal, and later add in hdc.

In any case, you can later add entries to /etc/fstab to mount the
partitions on the old hdc. If you don't know the partitions, you can
use  '/sbin/fdisk -l' as root to find out.