Upgrading from Redhat to Debian, want to preserve home dirs, etc.

I have an old Redhat 6.2 system with kernel 2.2.14 on it from the year
2000. I am bringing it out of retirement and am switching to Debian. I
need some advice. The system has two IDE hard drives on it configured
like so:

/dev/hda3             1.4G  923M  484M  66% /
/dev/hda1              23M  3.4M   19M  15% /boot
/dev/hda4              17G   14G  3.7G  79% /home
/dev/hdc2              19G   11G  7.6G  60% /extra

I don't care about dual-booting, but I want to preserve the existing
directories on /dev/hda for the obvious reasons.... home directories
has all my stuff in it and usr dirs has a lot of usr/local stuff, etc.
So I would like to install Debian on /dev/hdc, now known as the /extra
drive, and mount hda to access home, etc. I don't care about wiping
out the contents of /dev/hdc2 (/extra) because it was just a backup
drive anyway. Because I have not ever used the Debian install program
and I understand it's not as easy to use as Redhat's (sorry, don't
mean to demean Debian)... I would appreciate some advice in advance so
I don't screw things up.

If you could kindly email your reply as well, that would be great. And
thanks in advance for any thoughts.