Re: Campus Monitoring System...!

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:20:15 +0200, Eduard Bosma wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I'm looking at the home site of Nagios, and although it looks very
> promising, I can find the last missing piece of information: how does
> Nagios monitor the host?
>
> I need a tool where I can monitor my machine park of AIX/HP  and Solaris
> machines, but we do NOT want to use SNMP to do this due to different
> reasons (mainly security related). I can't see how Nagios is doing the
> remote monitoring (i.e. the hard disk usage and for example the telnet
> service) Can someone clear this up for me?

Nagios uses a set of plugins, which are in the nagios-plugins package,
and available from the main nagios site (iirc, the plugins are also on
nagios-plugins.sf.net).

For network service monitoring (like telnet) there's a connect_tcp
plugin which can open a tcp connection to any numbered port. Some of
the common services (ssh, and http at least) have custom plugins which
return whatever banner the host sends.

The only way I've ever seen nagios monitor internal system states
(disc usage, cpu usage etc) is via SNMP.  The check_snmp plugin
supports snmp 1 & 2, possibly 3 and has command-line options that can
be used to specify different get and set community names from the
default public/private, you could take advantage of this and use
different community names from the default on your snmp devices.

--
Stephen Patterson http://patter.mine.nu/
steveSPAM@.patter.mine.nu  remove SPAM to reply