Re: IMAP server with fast search

--On Friday, September 10, 2004 20:20 -0300 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Vadik wrote:
I run my own email server which support 5 accounts, but a few of the
accounts have a lot of messages (4000 in the a single sub-folder is not
uncommon), in addition to this I often need to run search for words in
[...]
Any recommendation of server with good searching?

Well, if you are willing to read the docs and setup something that is
somewhat more complicated, you can use Cyrus.

It isn't that bad, really :)

It indexes everything (read the manpages on squat), and it can handle
folders with 30000+ messages easily.  IF your IMAP client does not
die a messly death with so many messages, that is :-)

Oh, and it supports server-side searches and threading.

Cyrus:
Also uses message per file storage, have some indexes, but I don't think
these indexes are used for searching

See the squat indexer, it is included in the Debian packages.  Just make
sure to run squat often to update the indexes...

Ahhh! I forgot about the squatter, yeah with that you get the body indexes if you want ot search on teh bodies of messages. There are some scripts to 'continuously' run squatter (really a set of cron scripts that cause it to run for about a minute or so then continue on...getting started and stopped every few minutes)

But as I said in my previous post, all the other indexes are maintained, and newer versions also maintain a 'threading' index that smarter IMAP clients will take advantage of (Evolution, mulberry....not sure of what others, probably PINE heh)