Re: cheap network card supported by linux

On Friday 10 September 2004 03:40 pm, Alvin Oga wrote:

> if you want network performance... you have to spend a day tuning it
> and testing it and changing the tcp/ip parameters and hope your nic
> can also keep up ( most all of um fail ... none can run(sustained) at
> even 50% of its 100Mbps or 1000Mbps rated speeds )
>
> $5 for a cheap rt1839too or $150 intel .... is it worth the difference ?
>  - depends ..

Now I'm wondering what kind of performance I actually have.  :)  Three tulip
NICs (Linksys), two sis900 (on-board), a Linksys hub.  I know splee diddly
about performance (though I've heard Linksys == crap), but I know my blinken
lights are blinken furiously.  I've got three terminals up at the moment and
I can barely tell the difference between one of the terminals and the server.
File transfers could probably be faster.

I guess I don't actually care.  I'm just trying to put off doing something
more constructive by wasting time here on this list just a little longer, and
this thread got my attention.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/