Re: IMAP server with fast search

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Vadik wrote:
> I run my own email server which support 5 accounts, but a few of the
> accounts have a lot of messages (4000 in the a single sub-folder is not
> uncommon), in addition to this I often need to run search for words in
[...]
> Any recommendation of server with good searching?

Well, if you are willing to read the docs and setup something that is
somewhat more complicated, you can use Cyrus.

It indexes everything (read the manpages on squat), and it can handle
folders with 30000+ messages easily.  IF your IMAP client does not
die a messly death with so many messages, that is :-)

Oh, and it supports server-side searches and threading.

> Cyrus:
> Also uses message per file storage, have some indexes, but I don't think
> these indexes are used for searching

See the squat indexer, it is included in the Debian packages.  Just make
sure to run squat often to update the indexes...

  Henrique Holschuh