Re: IMAP server with fast search

Response inline...

--On Friday, September 10, 2004 11:30 -0700 Vadik <vadik@kutsyy.com> wrote:

I run my own email server which support 5 accounts, but a few of the
accounts have a lot of messages (4000 in the a single sub-folder is not
uncommon), in addition to this I often need to run search for words in
the body of the message.  Such searches are extremely slow.  I have setup
with Maildir, and I used to run courier, but switched to dovecot
<http://packages.debian.org/testing/mail/dovecot-imapd> (I don't really
like courier folders system), as expected this had no effect on searching.

Any recommendation of server with good searching?

I've been thinking about a few:

Cyrus:
Also uses message per file storage, have some indexes, but I don't think
these indexes are used for searching

Depending on the version more or less are available, but ALL make available indexed subject, from, and to searches. As well as date based searched are all indexed.

UW-IMAP:
Having all messages in one file with improve search, but opening and
manipulating such big file will slow down server.

No indexing.

dbmail:
sounds like a good idea, but I am not sure how stable is the server.  I
also not sure if performance of using mysql 'like' for searching of
message body is really big improvement.

mysql like searches are no faster than a full file read when they start with a '%' (wildcard) -- that said mysql full text searches can be very fast.

There is a nice packages for searching archives (e.g. lurker), which are
extremely fast, so it would be reasonable to incorporate this search
capability in to mail server, right?

possibly, but you'd be on your own there.