Re: Installing Package To Floppy

Hello

John Lowell (<johnlowell@ameritech.net>) wrote:

> I would like to install a single, very small package to a floppy disk
> but apparently don't understand the correct proceedure. Desperate and
> floundering, I've even run the following after preliminaries in the
> hope of getting somewhere:
>
> apt-get install pv | /dev/fd0
> apt-get install pv > /mnt/floppy

That will only write the output messages to the floppy. You also don't
want to write to the floppy device file, you want to write to the file
system on the floppy disk.

> I get stiff-armed, of course. It's a small thing, but might someone
> get me on the right track here please?

Don't use apt. Use dpkg. Mount the floppy, get the package, and extract
it:

mount /mnt/floppy
dpkg -x pv_0.8.6-1_i386.deb /mnt/floppy
(Package version number from Sarge)

This will extract the contents of the package to the floppy disk using
the full path, e.g. the binary will be in /mnt/floppy/bin/pv
(or /mnt/floppy/usr/bin/pv, or whereever it goes to). The automatic
configuration of the package is not run that way, however.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976