Re: Installing Package To Floppy

Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Hello

> That will only write the output messages to the floppy. You also don't
> want to write to the floppy device file, you want to write to the file
> system on the floppy disk.
> Don't use apt. Use dpkg. Mount the floppy, get the package, and
> extract it:
>
> mount /mnt/floppy
> dpkg -x pv_0.8.6-1_i386.deb /mnt/floppy
> (Package version number from Sarge)
>
> This will extract the contents of the package to the floppy disk using
> the full path, e.g. the binary will be in /mnt/floppy/bin/pv
> (or /mnt/floppy/usr/bin/pv, or whereever it goes to). The automatic
> configuration of the package is not run that way, however.
>
> best regards
>         Andreas Janssen
>
> --
> Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com>
> PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
> Registered Linux User #267976
> http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps.html

Hello Andreas,

An enormously helpful reply, I'm grateful.

You mention at the end of your comment that the automatic configuration of
the package is not run in the way we plan to proceed. Will that complicate
my running the program from a floppy or is automatic configuration
unnecessary. I plan to use the program to monitor progress on network
transfers of backup data using the dd and nc commands made available with
the SystemRescueCD. dd does not otherwise provide verbosity. I'm a new guy
on the block and, while by no means new to GNU/Linux, many of the ways of
Debian are still mysterious to me.

Again, my thanks for your reply.

jlowell