Re: How Best to Email Documents?

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 04:54:17PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Open Office File>Send does not automatically attach the document to an
> email message though it opens a Mozilla send window.
>
> In any case recipients have good reason to be suspicious of attachments.
>
> Since Open Office can convert a document to HTML format is there any way
> to insert the text directly into the email rather that send it as an
> attachment?
>
> The problem of attachments is compounded in the case of homework.  My
> grandson writes his papers using Open Office.  The printouts are fine
> but occasionally he must transmit the file to school.  The school uses
> only Mac's but can convert files from the .doc format.  This means Open
> Office must convert from .sxw to .doc for transmission to the school
> where it will be converted to their Mac format.
>
> Is there a better way to do all this?

Why not simply export the work as a ps or pdf file??  Surely the Mac
lovers out there would appreciate that...

IMHO, HTML sucks as a medium for homework (much less email in general).

Sending files as attachments shouldn't generate suspicions unless they
are executables, scripts, etc.  A ps/pdf file shouldn't be a problem.

Personally, I'd use my own favorite email app to send the file from
there.  (You're in X, after all--multiple open windows and such.)  One
can then use a lead-in sentence or two in the body to announce the
attachment for what it is.

Cheers,

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,