Re: Kill does not stop process

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 07:50, Steven Feinstein wrote:
> I was running k3b and it looked like it wasn't doing anything while
> writing (but the CD drive was still flashing).  After a while I decided
> it was not working and stopped the CD writing.  K3b came back with a
> message about timing out.  But the CD light kept flashing.  SO I figured
> there was a process still running.
>
> I found 2 processes using cdrecord.  I tried to kill them using kill as
> user and nothing happended.  So I logged in as root and tried and still
> they would not die.  I then tried using kill -9 on the processes and they
> still would not die.  I ended up rebooting.
>
> Is this a kernel bug because I thought kill -9 (as root) would kill
> anything?
>
> Is there something else I could have tried?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

I've had the same thing, if your cdrecord process was in uninterruptable
sleep.  If it is, there's nothing you can do about it, except reboot.  Also
note, that each process in uninterruptable sleep will count as 1 in your
load average, even if it's not taking any cpu / network / disk resources.

I haven't done this myself, but you might check out the other threads about
CD writing in 2.6.8 to get some pointers about how to get cdrecord to
complete successfully.  I believe you may need to specify the device.  Of
course, this assumes you're using a 2.6.x kernel.  If you're not, I'm not
really sure why cdrecord would hang.

Hope that helps,

Justin Guerin