Kill does not stop process

I was running k3b and it looked like it wasn't doing anything while writing
(but the CD drive was still flashing).  After a while I decided it was not
working and stopped the CD writing.  K3b came back with a message about
timing out.  But the CD light kept flashing.  SO I figured there was a
process still running.

I found 2 processes using cdrecord.  I tried to kill them using kill as user
and nothing happended.  So I logged in as root and tried and still they
would not die.  I then tried using kill -9 on the processes and they still
would not die.  I ended up rebooting.

Is this a kernel bug because I thought kill -9 (as root) would kill
anything?

Is there something else I could have tried?

Thanks,

Steve