Re: Getmail version 4 + spamassassin + procmail

That's difficult to believe.  I've been using it for years with no
problems.

Good for you. I did too, but then started losing mail in part due to resource problems. I heard good things of getmail, tried it and liked it.

You don't need to create any folders.  procmail handles this by itself
when something arrives for that folder.  I rm empty folders as my
rules evolve and I've had no problems.

Fair enough, I am no expert. I just thought someone might benefit from my experiences with the things I struggled with.

Why does your procmailrc deliver to folders like ".blah"?  What's the
dot for?  Or is that a maildir vs. mbox thing?

I believe it's a Maildir/Courier thing. For mutt to know about the folders I have to put in symlinks from blah/ to .blah/

What?!?  If getmail.cron is a script, you don't need the redirection
to crontab.  Just run it.

getmail.cron is a line dumped from my crontab. I corrected myself in my next post, the redirection is indeed unnecessary, but you do need to run 'crontab getmail.cron' as far as I know, (I've not used cron much and this seemed like the easiest way to enable/disable my mail checking)

* ^List-Id:.*sb\.mailman\.lug\.org\.uk
.SBLug/

Thanks.

:0
./

That should be unnecessary.  Anything not matched by previous recipes
will fall into ${DEFAULT} (or is this another maildir/mbox thing?).

OK, I don't know about that. I don't spend too long on this stuff and it works for me. I was in no way claiming to be an authority, and your response has taught me a couple of things.

--
Joe Wrigley
Clockwork Software Systems

intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)