Re: squirrelmail, courier-imap, and subfolders

On Monday September  6 at 03:06pm
Victor Munoz <vmunoz@macul.ciencias.uchile.cl> wrote:

> > How did you create those folders? When I create IMAP folders in
> > Sylpheed-Claws or Ilohamail, they are named .thisisafolder (note the
> > leading period) and contain cur/new/tmp folders. It sounds like you
> > manually created those folders, which would be a Bad Idea (tm)
>
>  Well, that's what I did. I've been happily using mutt to read mail
>  locally, but now I'd like to set up some webmail service. It would be
>  great if I could somehow preserve the directory structure.

Generally, its a bad idea to go mucking about like that. I'm surprised
mutt was able to find the folders you made, but whatever. The folder
structure does not allow for sub-folders, if you think about it. How is
the client supposed to know if its another mail folder or the
cur/new/tmp structure? With periods, if you put a period in the name,
that indicates a new level. Therefore, folder
~/Maildir/.mailing lists.debian.user
shows up in the client as:
Inbox
-mailing lists
--debian
---user

Yes, this limits you to folders without periods (or they'll just be
subfolders), but it doesn't bother me. The people (or person, I think
Maildir was the work of qmail's author Dan Bernstein, someone correct me
if I'm wrong) put a lot of thought into how it should work, and then
created the tools and libraries to deal with it correctly. I'd rather
let them do their job.
--
-johann koenig
Now Playing: Onelinedrawing - Smile : Punk Vs. Emo (Disc 2 - Emo)