Re: apt-get upgrade changed desktop from kde to gnome

Don Jackson wrote:

I've been using KDE desktop on my system with Sarge. Last night did an apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade before shutting system down. This morning it booted up with Gnome desktop instead of the usual KDE, much to my surprise and displeasure.

Hints on how to change back to KDE the least painful way would be appreciated. As far as I know, I did not voluntarily change anything for this to happen. Am I the only one affected? BTW, I have nothing against gnome ... it is just that I started years ago with KDE and have stuck with it. My desktop with the involuntary "conversion" is a real mess!

Thanks,
Don

Depends. How are you starting X? With a GUI, like gdm or kdm? With "startx"? Do you have a ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession file (although really, those wouldn't be changed by an upgrade, so never mind.)?

For example, if you're logging in via kdm, just use the pull-down menu on the kdm screen to choose which wm/environment you want to use; kdm will then remember that setting on future logins.

Or perhaps you mean that kdm used to start and now gdm does (and their respective defaults would determine which environment you start); in that case you'd need to run "dpkg-reconfigure kdm" and select "kdm" as the default.

If you're using "startx", you may need to change the system-wide default (this is probably your issue); try

   sudo update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

Hopefully something here will point in a direction; if not, you may need to provide more detail.

--
Kent