Re: apt-get upgrade changed desktop from kde to gnome (RESOLVED)

On Saturday 04 September 2004 09:07 am, Kent West wrote:
> Don Jackson wrote:
> >I've been using KDE desktop on my system with Sarge.  Last night did an
> >apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade before shutting system down. This
> >morning it booted up with Gnome desktop instead of the usual KDE, much to
> > my surprise and displeasure.
> >
> >Hints on how to change back to KDE the least painful way would be
> > appreciated. As far as I know, I did not voluntarily change anything for
> > this to happen. Am I the only one affected?  BTW, I have nothing against
> > gnome ... it is just that I started years ago with KDE and have stuck
> > with it.  My desktop with the involuntary "conversion" is a real mess!
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Don
>
> Depends. How are you starting X? With a GUI, like gdm or kdm? With
> "startx"? Do you have a ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession file (although really,
> those wouldn't be changed by an upgrade, so never mind.)?
>
> For example, if you're logging in via kdm, just use the pull-down menu
> on the kdm screen to choose which wm/environment you want to use; kdm
> will then remember that setting on future logins.
>
> Or perhaps you mean that kdm used to start and now gdm does (and their
> respective defaults would determine which environment you start); in
> that case you'd need to run "dpkg-reconfigure kdm" and select "kdm" as
> the default.
>
> If you're using "startx", you may need to change the system-wide default
> (this is probably your issue); try
>
>     sudo update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
>
> Hopefully something here will point in a direction; if not, you may need
> to provide more detail.
>
> --
> Kent

Once again Kent, you came to my rescue.  I was getting rather comfortable
using Debian almost 100% of the time now (still need some apps only available
under W2K ;-(    ... and sort of panicked this morning when it seemed like
everything was messed up.  But rather than do something rash, thought I'd ask
for advice.  Thank you, it worked.  For some reason my apt-get upgrade last
night upset something ... and the very simple solution was to use the
pulldown menu to start once again in KDE rather than Gnome.  Wish all my
problems were that simple!  I'm still learning, sometimes rather slowly...

73,
Don