Re: Console-Based Appd Recommendations

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 05:18:32PM -0700, Scarletdown wrote:
> On Thursday 02 September 2004 15:15, Stefan O'Rear wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 02:45:24PM -0700, Scarletdown wrote:
> >
> > Emacs 21 has an enriched-mode that will load/save rtf. Dunno if it
> > will fit in 540MB, though.
>
> It might be able to load rtf, but that doesn't make the rtf file Human
> readable.  here's what I get when I load an rtf file that was created
> with OpenOffice...
Oops, misremembered :(

> snipped
If you have some sort of printing script, you might do:

rtf-to-postscript-program < file.rtf | ps2pdf13 /dev/fd/0 /dev/fd/1 | pdftotext > file.txt

As for correctly-displaying rtf processors, you'll probably need an
Xserver.  (How much RAM do the XFree 3 packages (e.g. xserver-vga16)
use? Xfree 3 is very obsolete, but you can still get it in woody.)

> Also, not being able to browse to the files I want to open is going to
> disqualify emacs for me.
Dired mode? C-x C-f .

> Any other console-based editors that can read rtf and either display
> them properly or hide the markup code?
The Linux console can only display one font and a maximum of 16 colors
at one time. (Even with fbcon.)  And it has to be a monospaced font.

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER