Re: Console-Based Appd Recommendations

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 02:45:24PM -0700, Scarletdown wrote:
> I'm in the process of tinkering around with my old TI Extensa 450 Laptop
> and getting Damn Dmall Linux installed on her, since she only has 12MB
> RAM and a 540MB hard drive.
>
> Due to memory limitations (until I can get a pair of 72 pin 16MB laptop
> DIMMs), I am running without X.  Therefore, I am looking for a few
> tools and apps that work in console mode.
>
> First, there is the CD player.  I tried out cdcd, and it seems like it
> will be suitable for my needs.  However, I need some sort of front end
> for it, sorta like a XMMS, but in console mode, and works with gpm.
>
> Second, since this laptop doesn't have a sound card, I am looking for a
> speaker driver.  I have one over on the Windows 3.x side, which works
> quite well and lets me play wav files through the PC speaker.  Is there
> a similar driver (preferably one that can be loaded via insmod)
> available in the Debian archives?  And even better, perhaps something
> that can handle mp3 and ogg files.

Fr0m the Linux 2.6.0 Kconfig:
}} I'm told that even without a sound card, you can make your computer say
}} more than an occasional beep, by programming the PC speaker.  Kernel
}} patches and supporting utilities to do that are in the pcsp package,
}} available at <ftp://ftp.infradead.org/pub/pcsp/>.

> Another thing I am hoping is out there is a word processor that can
> handle rtf files.  At the very least, it needs to at least be able to
> load an rtf file and hide the markups, and then save back to rtf.
Emacs 21 has an enriched-mode that will load/save rtf. Dunno if it will
fit in 540MB, though.

> Email:  What text based client do you folk recommend?  I'm leaning
> towards PINE, but I can't remember if PINE supports POP3 or not.
Mutt comes standard (in Debian atleast; PINE is in nonfree), and works
well for me.