ADSL/pppoe configuration problem

Hello, I just recently installed debian, and I can't
configure my ADSL connection.
When I run the configuration in the menu, it says it
found the ethernet device,
but the next step fails, something about "access
concentrator not found" and hinting that another
proccess may be using it.

Any idea what I might do? Right now I'm using knoppix
and
The adsl
configuration tool works fine,
just promting me for a name and password, and I can
connect
to my ADSL connection. And yes,
I did load the kernel modules for my network adapter.
I also loaded the "pppoe" module, and it still refuses
to work.

Any ideas what I can do?