Re: Working backup solution?

Didde Brockman wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to find a decent backup solution for our 5 Debian systems – all on Dell hardhardware. Been looking at the Dell PowerVault 122 as it seems to fit our needs quite good in terms of capacity (640Gb max).

I'm now curious as to see if anyone out there have been successful in settings it up and running it along with Amanda or similar on Debian. If you have a better suggestion or any kind of help / advise on what's working for you, please let me know!

Big and relatively cheap IDE disks can be used as backup media. Up to 4 of them will fit in virtually any standard PC. You may prefer though a PC case with a bigger power supply and a better/reliable ventilation.

rsync can be applied in various ways to make the backups themselves depending on your priorities.

I use rsync with --backup-dir=`date...` option to create 'inverted' incremental backups. That is, the /latest dir contains a full image of the directory being backed up, while daily changes are in date-named dirs. It takes care of backing up 3 Linux servers and a dozen of Linux workstations into 2x250GB disks. Inspired by: http://tldp.org/linuxfocus/English/March2004/article326.shtml

There are other ready solutions based on rsync, e.g.:
http://www.math.ualberta.ca/imaging/rlbackup/
http://www.stearns.org/rsync-backup/

Sarunas