Re: 2 Problems Yet to Be Resolved

On Sunday 29 August 2004 08:12, gsutton9503@wavecable.com wrote:
> New</param>Okay now.  Last night, I completely reinstalled my OS, using
> Mepis.
>

> Currently, neither the sound nor the NICs are
> working, though they do work when I boot up with
> the Mepis CD.  Here is how I set things up
> (hopefully, this info can help in
> troubleshooting).

Just as a bit of an update here, I am closer now to being operational.

I successfully installed the updated nForce drivers downloaded from nVidia's
site, and can now get both sound and network functions.  However, whenever I
reboot, I have to go through a big modprobe ritual to get them to work.
Specifically:

modprobe nvnet
modprobe 3c59x
modprobe i810_audio
modprobe ac97_codec
modprobe soundcore

Then I have to run netcardconfig on both NICs every single time.

Isn't there any way to have these things probed automatically at boot time
(preferably without having to compile a new kernel, especially since these
all work when I boot up with the Mepis CD, and that is the kernel I am
using)?