2 Problems Yet to Be Resolved

Okay now. Last night, I completely reinstalled my OS, using Mepis.

Currently, neither the sound nor the NICs are working, though they do work when I boot up with the Mepis CD. Here is how I set things up (hopefully, this info can help in troubleshooting).

First, I did the installation on a single 3GB partition (hda1).

After the installation was complete, I rebooted and successfully logged in. At this point, sound and both NICs were still working.

I then made dedicated partitions for /tmp /root /usr /usr/local /var /opt and /home

I mounted those as
/tmpnew /rootnew /usrnew /usrnew/local /varnew /optnew and /homenew and copied everything from their original counterparts over to the new locations.

After that, I renamed the old locations to /tmpold /rootold /usrold /usrold/local /varold /optold and /homeold and renamed the new locations to what the old ones originally were.

Finally, I edited /etc/fstab to mount the new partitions at the appropriate mount points and rebooted again.

Everything seemed to be going well, except for three things.

1: The only user that could log in graphically was root. That problem has been fixed.

2: netcardconfig no longer "sees" the NICs

3: Upon logging in, I am presented with an error message for sound...

"device /dev/dsp can't be opened (no such device)
The sound driver will continue, using the null output device."

I am guessing that not everything got copied over to the new partitions, but I have no idea what to look for. Or, it could be permissions problems. I just don't know and am completely stumped here.

And for additional troubleshooting purposes, here's some of my system's specs...

MB - ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (which is the big reason I went the Mepis route)
CPU - Athlon 2500 (slightly overclocked to 2GHz)
Video GeForce 5600FX - 256MB VRAM (the other reason for going Mepis)
RAM - 1GB (2 512MB DDR400 DIMMs)

The NICS and sound are on the motherboard. One NIC is 3COM, and the other is nVidia.

I think the above is all the specs needed for this bit of t-shooting.

Any suggestions on how I can get these problems resolved?