Re: backup data to CD - golden platter

hi ya sun

ok ... i'll bite ...  and solve your problem for you

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Mingzhai Sun wrote:

> Hello Debian-users,
>
>  I did a full backup, and I want to do increamental backup every week.

lets say you have a spare disk or a disk (partition) you call /mnt/BACKUP

full backups

	tar zcvf /mnt/BACKUP/date.tgz /home/mingsun

incremental backups
	find /home/mingsun -mtime -7 \( -type -f -o -type l \) \
	tar zcvf /mnt/BACKUP/date.7days.tgz -T -

	change "-7" to be "-3" if you wanna do a 3 day incremental backup

and do all that from cron ...

> Are  there any method which is suitable for my task?

thousand of ways to solve the problem you're describing

> Before I write it Cd, I
> 'd also like to write it to another hard disk.

make a cd of all the data previously backedup

    mkisofs [options] -o backup.iso /mnt/BACKUP/*.tgz

	options are:
	-- you want to use long file names
	-- you want to name the cd
	-- you want to version the cd
	-- you want to say its "/home/mingsun" ..

>  I looked at tar, but it seems that it does good job using tape but not cd
> or hard disk.

you have to read the man pages for 10 years to understand all the
gazillion options  and find example command lines in some other howtos

>  Thanks for your suggestion. Please give me as detail information as possible.

detail info ... requires additional stimuli to figure out if things
are sticking, absorbed and processing or if it's flying high past the
boundries outside the gray matter  :-)

c ya
alvin