X Config and Knoppix

Hello

I apologize for my ignorance, I am no expert but have set up many Linux installations. I work for RSPCA Sheffield, a friend designed and created software for us and other shelters to use, to save money for the shelter we decided to make use of all the fantastic free, open source software available which we use on a set of mostly donated 2nd hand harware.

We have a small network with 9 machines that I am responsible for maintaining. 3 years ago I hadn't even heard of Linux, I started with a very limited knowledge of computing but have learnt enough to take care of our system. As we use donated equipment things wear out a lot and I have had to set many machines up from scratch.

It has also been my job to train the 15 or so other, mostly computer illiterate staff members to use the system.

I have found that if it is possible for something to go wrong, or be misinterpreted it usually happens to us.

Firstly, I wondered if there was a way I could get involved with testing and documenting of new software, I think I have a good idea of how most non-computer programmers interpret instructions and I often very frustrated when, after reading pages and pages of very techincal manuals to try to solve a very simple problem I can ask a friend of mine a simple question and him give me the solution in one sentence that I actually understand - I imagine that most manuals would benefit from a paragraph or two explaining in laymans how it works.

Secondly, Knoppix is a branch of Debian right? X config is a nightmare with Debian (I have spent many hours swearing at it) but Knoppix just gets on with it and you can tweak later. Is it possible to do this on an established Debian installation? If not why not?

Thanks

Adam.