Re: X Config and Knoppix

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 02:45:07PM +0100, Adam Spencer wrote:

> Secondly, Knoppix is a branch of Debian right? X config is a nightmare

It is based on Debian, yes, but it is _not_ Debian. A distinction that people
never quite seem to make. :)

> with Debian (I have spent many hours swearing at it) but Knoppix just
> gets on with it and you can tweak later. Is it possible to do this on an
> established Debian installation? If not why not?

It's not difficult. You have "lspci" at your disposal to see what graphics
card you have. You also have google, to see what graphics 'driver' is
recommend to use with X. You also have dexconf support by way of
"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86", you also have the 'read-edid' package for
DDC compliant monitors.

No problem, really.

-- Thomas Adam
--